Sunday, March 5

What a swell party this is

I'm watching High Society (1956) right now. It's a musical adaptation of The Philadelphia Story (1940). Basically it's Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly vs. Cary Grant, James Stewart and Katherine Hepburn. In both movies, the male leads have almost as much chemistry with each other as the girl they're both in love with.

I don't know if I'd seen High Society first, I might have liked it better or at least as well as Philadelphia Story. The songs are really cheesy, I couldn't believe Cole Porter wrote some of them! Sinatra is adorable, Bing Crosby does his 'bububub' thing. And Grace Kelly is beautiful, but she apes Hepburn's delivery just a little. Of course, in both, everything comes out in the end, in High Society with Louis Armstrong and his band and a jazzed up Wedding March.

No comments:

Post a Comment