Sunday, January 9

Three dates in one week

I've been hyperventilating about this all week. All three were from eHarmony and all were successes. I would define a date success, especially a first date, as one that involves no major embarrassment, have a decent amount of enjoyment, and possibly leads to more of same.

First date: Monday, Applebee's. I think Applebee's was his suggestion, but it was fine with me. I'm pretty democratic or catholic or tasteless in my tastes, so I like a good chain restaurant. They're safe, consistent, friendly. He is a handful of years older than I am, divorced, two kids. It felt like he was looking at me very intently through the entire meal. He kept saying, "That's all right then," in response to things I'd say. I think I talked very much and very animatedly but "that's all right, then." I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was a little weird, a little awkward, but not awful by any means. He said he'd like to get together again next weekend, this weekend being out because he has his kids. He has nice eyes and a good smile. I had to go back to work so the date was only a little more than an hour long. We had a hurried hug as I left. He's texted me a handful of times since.

Second: Last night at Claddagh. He lives in on the east side of the Twin Cities but commutes to the west suburbs for work, so Maple Grove was sort of a good mid point. Claddagh was my suggestion, and is also a chain, but a much smaller one, with no other close locations that I know of, and an interesting menu. What does that matter? It does not matter one whit. Interesting fact: he said the only other time he'd been there was for another first date a couple of weeks ago. He was very cute, nice facial hair, funny, laughed a lot. He is just about the same age as me. We talked and ate and drank a couple of beers, for over three hours, and I would've stayed longer if I didn't have to make the drive back home. A quick kiss on the lips, then ear, after he walked me to my car.  He's texted me a bunch today, which is great.

Third: Today, lunch at Granite City. He was driving an hour to meet me. I started the day off reading terrible reviews of the place and being horrified that the food would be bland and the service terrible, only to find it wasn't so bad. He liked the place fine. I wasn't wearing makeup, because I left all my makeup in the car overnight and it froze, but oh well. He was very tall, nice blue eyes, smiled a lot. Has a boyish charm that goes well with the sterling gray in his hair. He is actually 2 or 3 years younger than me, which is potentially worrisome. I liked him, he seemed to like me. We had a nice hug afterwards.  I texted him a thank you afterwards and he sent back a message that said he'd "had a really good time. =)". So I'm hopeful on that front as well.

No solid plans for future dates from any of them, so it's not an embarrassment of riches quite yet. I'm thinking I may have to go to an unlimited text/internet plan, at least for a month or two, to keep up with all the texts and obsessive email checking. One of those Murphy's law type things (or is it?): If I switch plans, I bet I'll end up not needing it.

8 comments: