Thursday, March 16

I have a few e-mail addresses

And I think Yahoo thinks I'm a spammer. Every once in a while it pulls that word verification biz-nass on me. Like yesterday, I sent out an e-mail to a bunch of people (should I have requested an RSVP? dammit), and it's possible that one or more recipient didn't recognize my address and reported me as spam. I believe Whackly once hit the spam button when I sent him a forward with animated, floating baby angels. It was the sweetest thing ever and it filled his black heart with fear.

I like having a few e-mail addresses. And an identity on blogger rather than just using my name. I know, I know, secrecy and all that. But here's the thing: say you are applying for a job, for instance, like I should be right this very minute. So, what if they google your name? Now, googling MY name is an exercise in futility (unless you add the city a city I have lived or attended school in, even then how could you pick out which one was me?). You could be totally screwed. Everybody should take a minute to see what pops up under their name or internet persona's name. Seriously.

I'd probably be okay. On google I might be an eastern European telecom CEO, or Your Preferred Real Estate Representative. "Information - TV.com offers all of the latest {my name} news as well as exclusive {my name} pics."

A lot of people with my name are guys. There's an actor on IMDB, a college football player, a Texas Ranger. I am a distinguished sommelier in Las Vegas. I didn't find my real self on the first ten pages of the search - even my vanity was fatigued by page 8. In contrast, my blogger profile shows up on the first page of results when searching for the surprisingly un-ubiquitous phrase (for the internet) 'something dirty.'

No comments:

Post a Comment