Thursday, August 24

It's that time of year

Coming up on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Ok, it's like 3 weeks away, but between that and Hurricane Katrina's first anniversary, you know, I want to avoid all the misery retrospectives coming down the pike. I don't want to see any movies about it, any news specials or footage from the day. I don't want to read about it, see pictures of Ground Zero and the families. I don't want to hear politicians make speeches. I don't want to read dumbass blogs about it : ). I can't believe it's been five years, can you?

I think I will stop listening to NPR for a couple of weeks, switch the radio back to Lite 99 for a bit, because I imagine they'll be all newsy on that shit. Is it self-centered or something, if I avoid reading, watching, hearing all the tributes and stuff? Remember that fall, being glued to the TV for weeks? Whenever the new fall tv shows come out, I remember how they pushed back all the premieres that year. Remember the celebrities, dressing down for the Emmy's out of respect? How nice.

I was watching the Today Show before work that day, which I never did, and haven't since. Remember the dawning realization, the second plane hitting? The papers from all those offices floating through the sky? Some assholes are marketing a September 11th memorial collectible coin. The World Trade Center folds up and it's made from metal from the vaults under the World Trade Center. Who wouldn't want to own that?

It's raining like a sumbitch again.

4 comments:

  1. It did rain like a sumbitch.

    My sister's BIRTHDAY is Sept. 11. How's that for suckitude? She'll never get a normal birthday again in her natural born days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know a guy who's birthday is that day too. My ex-roommate's boyfriend. I think I'd pick a new day, it would feel awful to have a party on September 11th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should watch this video. even if you don't like kids, it's sure to cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video is soooo funny - thanks Honey Bunny.

    I hear you Dirty on the 9/11 stuff. My personal misery and that of my friends are enough for me to handle at the moment without having to take on the whole country's misery.

    I love the sumbitchen rain.

    ReplyDelete