Friday, November 4

Sorry, no livestock pictures. Just a boring post about books.

I'm going into my annual bookthing, reading the books I reread every year. I had a start in August, but quit. There was a stretch there where I didn't have a book going at all, just read magazines and blogs and junk. I am doing the scary book thing right now.

Next, Dubliners. This time I should read it in small doses; it is very melancholy. Then I'll try Portrait again, haven't gotten through it yet. I'll take a break, cleanse my palate with a few back issues of the National Enquirer when I go home for Thanksgiving.

I should get through the rest of the list (Austen, the Brontes, Forster) by the Superbowl, if I really want to and I don't end up going out to the bars three nights a week. But that sounds pretty good too.

6 comments:

  1. Books are awesome. For you, S.D., I recommend Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes. It's long, but for once that's a good thing. So freaking funny...Faulkner said he reread it every year...Just thing thing to make an unholy St. Cloud winter pass quicker. You just have to get into the old timey dialect, and then away you ride...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I have a painting of Don Quixote over my couch that I got from my parents. I didn't know what that painting was of until I read the book. That's irrelevant. After that you should read The Island Of The Day Before by Umberto Echo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched the movie musical version of Don Quixote in high school. I think it was the teacher's attempt to bring us some culture. I liked it. I have read Foucault's Pendulum so I know I like Eco.

    Good suggestions.

    I once saw a book called "Killing Time in St. Cloud" in a coffee shop in St. Paul (it was near Hamline, actually). I haven't been able to find it since, I guess it's out of print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have seen it at Ginko's Coffee Shop. Right across the street from Hamline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is what it was called! Gingko's! This was 8 or so years ago. All I could remember is that this girl I knew in elementary school was working there and you could smoke inside.

    ReplyDelete