Wednesday, November 23

Buy Nothing Day & Thanksgiving Niceness

Heard of this? Just don't buy anything on that crazy hyped up Black Friday of Retail! Brought to you by the fine people at Adbusters. Here's a Motley Fool article that takes the concept beyond anti-corporate, anti-materialism protest, and goes into the more persuasive realm of self interest. Cancel Christmas. Well, not totally.

I am thankful, this Thanksgiving, that there is so much worthless shit available to buy, and further thankful that I am not going to buy it. Probably.

I am making green bean casserole for Thanksgiving with my family. When it involves fewer than five ingredients and no skill, I am a super cook. And my nieces will be there, which is very nice. We only get them every other holiday. The nephew will be with his other dad. Bummer. When he was about 3 1/2 he left me the nicest answering machine message I ever got. I could hear my mom coaching him in the background. "Hi, Bamie. I wuv oo Bamie. Byeeee." That's all for now, everybody have a happy Thanksgiving, and shop or not, as you prefer.

14 comments:

  1. SD,
    Venturing out to a store on Black Friday is a worse fate to me than death by firing squad! I too will be far, far away from the stores not buying any worthless crap. At least until the next week. Enjoy your turkey. And your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I love shopping. ha ha. Just kidding. I haven't been shopping, except grocery, since august. True story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't gotten a coat yet? I thought you guys were going to get matching ensembles. Or did you find last year's stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Brady lives in Fargo, so I haven't purchased shit. I really need a wool hat. I'm wearing a coat that is okay, need gloves, too. I seem to be in the full bloom of bachelorhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, are you two just gonna flirt or will ther be some sexual contact?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whackly, I'm gay. There. I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's O.K. It doesn't make the joke less funny to me... Oh wait.. did you assume that I actually meant that I believed there was romance blooming between the two of you? Well... that's just strange. Let's be real, though. Regardless of which team you play on I swear that SD likes you!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gay! That's perfect! my parents will love you, just don't hit on my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I just looked in my closet. There's no way I could be gay, after all. I have the wardrobe of a poor lumberjack college student who shops mostly at Target . I have a fine selection of solid colored Cherokee T-shirts. Mostly blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But now you don't have to be, SD!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh but Whackly, you know I like Stu. What will Stu say? What will Stu think? My only concern is for Stu.

    ReplyDelete