Tuesday, November 14

Ladies' Aid

Well, to continue my thoughts on churches and perhaps elicit yours, the day of my grandma's funeral we went to three different churches: One for the service, one for the burial and one where the family got together to sort photos and send thank yous. I wasn't bothered by these churches, of course I had other stuff on my mind.

I didn't know the ladies' aids were still in business. I hadn't really thought of them in years. I remember teachers in elementary school asking us if we were holding a meeting of the ladies aid if we chatted too much in class. Now, these were small-town or no-town churches, so I don't know if it's like this everywhere. At the first one, for a small donation to the church, they made lunch for 150 people and cleaned it up. You know the midwestern lunch? hotdishes? bars? buns? koolaid? gallons and gallons of coffee?

The no-town church is Stordahl. It's where my mom went as a kid. I tried to take a picture of her and my aunts and uncles confirmation pictures, but they turned out totally creepy, weird reflections and suchlike. If I ever get them scanned I'll post them. It wouldn't shock me if that place was haunted.

I'm not religious but I understand that churches are good for a lot of things. Like community support types of things. Ladies' aid rocks.

5 comments:

  1. our teacher used to say - "do you think this is a parliament?" when we were too noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh ooh ooh i have a fantastically scary church story i will tell sometime. good stuff. and i went to catholic school and we had aides, my mom was one. nuns and my mom. pretty much the same thing. shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree churches can be good for people. I guess I feel like there are a lot of two-faced people in church. You know those that preach the bible but don't actually live by it. I guess that's my problem with organized religion.
    Cool about the ladies aid thing. I don't have any church stories. I remember the Joy bus though. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like scary stories!

    Yeah, that bothers me too. The Bible is weeeird (the following is a parody site, in case you just take a quick look)
    http://www.landoverbaptist.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. For awhile I was going to pancake and spaghetti suppers at local churches here in Minnie. I think there must've been some kind of Ladies Aid type group running the things. I stopped going when the church people started recognizing me and I felt uncomfortable, as if I lived in the little town where I grew up and went to the church.

    ReplyDelete