Thursday, November 30

Here are some money saving tips.

Do some of them seem a little crazy? Yes, I think so.

from the Debt-Proof Living Newsletter. Reading it has not made me debt-proof, but it does freak me out sometimes.

LAST BIT: Everybody knows that you roll up a toothpaste tube when it gets to the end. But if you unwind it and snip off a tiny corner of the bottom, you will find there is a lot more in there. -- Lorraine H., Illinois

JUICE TRAP: Instead of using a cutting board for fruits and veggies, I use a pizza pan or an old metal pie pan. This way, nothing slides off the board. -- Lorraine H., Illinois

KNEE WRAP: Need a wrap for an arthritic knee? Cut toes out of a stretch sock. Pull it over your knee with the heel over your kneecap. It stays in place and is warm, comfortable, washable and reusable. -- Catherine S., Illinois

GUM REMOVER: I have found that Ronsonol lighter fuel works to remove gum residue from price tags. You don't have to use a spoon or knife to loosen gum, and you don't have to rinse. -- Dave J., Washington (Caution: Lighter fluid is, of course, flammable and should be used in this way with extreme caution and out of the presence of children. -- M.H.)

GIFT SACK: Pillowcases can become useful "wrapping paper" at Christmas time. Pick out a festive print for each child at the dollar table at your local Wal-Mart. Fill the pillowcase with the gifts, and include another pillowcase if the child has a double bed. Tie with a big red ribbon and attach a bow and nametag. -- Bea H., North Carolina

ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER: For homemade window cleaner, pour 1 pint rubbing alcohol and 2 pints nonsudsing household ammonia into a 1-gallon container. Fill the rest of the container with water. Add two drops of Dawn liquid detergent. Pour into spray bottle. I have wonderful results using this solution to clean stoves, carpet spots, counters, tile and, of course, windows. -- Jeannette B., Illinois (Always label cleaners clearly and keep well out of the reach of children and pets. -- M.H.)

5 comments:

  1. I like the toothpaste and all in one cleaner. I would do that.

    You can also seperate your tp roll into 2 seperate rolls! No I don't do that. Too thin, then you end up using twice as much. Shit you might as well have left it. As a matter of fact, buy the real thick expensive thick stuff. Fuck money. I love money, but money don't love me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Money hates me, I keep trying to make friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to know someone who would drip dry used teabags. and use them again to make more tea. coming from a family of tea fanatics, we just decided to drink less tea.

    ps: those pics didnt show...

    pps: hey SD, what do you think of the wv - fckgrhb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god. I think that word verification is a scathing indictment of Mr. G. Herb. Why is wv getting such an attitude!? Funny stuff, neha. My wv is bzxlw. Which I think refers to boozing with ex-in-laws, or former cops, which I'm not going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh SD! you are a genuis when it comes to this - i could only see some potential, but you... oh words fail me. *laughing out loud*

    i have had 2 quite interesting ones - at brian's i got 'trulu'. which seemed to me to be saying -true u, i.e., 'what you say is true'

    but now the one i see below is - dmmlazgu - dumb lazy and gu? umm

    ReplyDelete