Sunday, July 23

Here's an interesting article.

Immigrant children's roles open to interpretation


I think anyone who has worked in customer service over the phone has dealt with this: A very young sounding kid interpreting for their parents. "My mom says this bill doesn't look right. What is this charge for?" We had a translation service at my last job but many times they didn't want to do that. And most of the time I worked there they had one Spanish speaking rep who was almost never available. And couldn't really help with our Somalian, Hmong, etc, customers. Most of the parents know some English but I guess they want to be sure they are getting everything right. I feel bad for some of these kids, it seems like too much responsibility. And it sucks to tell a kid who sounds like he's ten years old at most, "You should tell your dad that we can't turn the phone back on until the bill is paid."

A lot of kids have to take on some sort of grown-up responsibility in their homes -- babysitting, watching out for irresponisble parents, shopping, taking care of the house. Not just ordinary chores, but stuff that is typically the domain of an adult. Sometimes these kids totally rebel, sometimes they turn out to be super competent, capable adults.

I'm not one of those "Don't move here if ya cain't speak English" types. Just because you talk to someone who doesn't speak English on the day you happen to talk to them doesn't mean they aren't trying to learn. And I bet it's hard to find time to study when you have three kids and you are working 12 hour days at a crappy job.

Yeah well, good article.

2 comments:

  1. Dog gone it - I had my comment all typed and I lost it. Damn internet/computer. Fucking Charter. Sorry, anyway here is what I was saying:

    Yes, I agree, it is very sad to hear the "translator kids" on the phone helping Mom and Dad out. I think there are benefits for these kids: They learn how to handle business unlike their spoiled brat counterparts at school and they are bi-lingual so undoubtedly will be able to land a better job in the future. On the downside it is very discouraging to know too much about your parents business affairs. The younger you are the worse it is too. My parents didn't mean to involve me but they did. I always felt so bad for them, instead of feeling good about me and focusing on what I needed or wanted. Sometimes when I talked to these "translator kids" I wanted just to tell them how great they were and how much respect I had for them, doing what they do. Oh and I just wanted to give them a big ol hug cause they (the youngest anyway) sounded so adorable - reminded me of my kids.

    ReplyDelete