Tuesday, July 11

Dress code, bless code, lovely lovely mess code


I was assessing the contents of my closet, because my new job has a "business casual, emphasis on business" dress code. I was pleasantly surprised by what I already have. To wit: 8 button-up shirts (various colors, fits, sleeve lengths), 7 cardigans (again, a variety. but clearly I am in a fashion rut), 4 pairs of dress pants, 5 skirts... fuck, do I own a dress?! No, I don't own a dress. I own three dresses. They are sort of old as you may have guessed from the fact that I forgot about them. Not quite the first stare of fashion, one might say, if one lived in England in the early 19th century.

Clearly it's time to embark on the next leg of the getting-rid-of-shit journey. But that will have to wait for the weekend. I have alarms to set, procedures to remember, scenes to rewrite... shit ...shit, monologue...

shit., shit.. How did I get that bruise? If you were named Harriet and could be described by the non-word "fridgmental", how would you have gotten that bruise? I think Harriet has a big bruise on her arm -- wait, did some psycho drunk girl bite her arm at a biker bar? No, I can come up with something better than that... although I can imagine just the kind of hissy fit she would have. I can imagine it quite well, actually. Hmm. Almost as though it really happened, like to someone I know. Or am.

One quirk of the new job's dress code -- or maybe it just seems weird compared to other places I've worked -- is that socks or hose are always required. What do you do with cropped pants? Skirts in spring or summer? Can't wear tights. Hose looks dumb, doesn't it? Well, today I saw a handful of women wearing knee-highs with sandals and capris. The tops of the knee highs were not visible, rest assured. It didn't look as horrible as I thought it would. I hope it's not one of those things you become accustomed to, and you start to think it's acceptable everywhere and you think it looks fine and wonder why people are snickering when you walk by. Maybe I should just buy a few pairs of argyle knee socks to wear with everything.

6 comments:

  1. i don't know your size, but if you're a hot, chubby, need-more-work-clothes woman like me, you and i should go to the $3 b&lu sale in st paul tomorrow! if you're smaller than a 14, this wouldn't apply to you, but if you're not, come pick me up and we can get awesome stuff for THREE DOLLHAIRS!

    *ahem* as you can see, i'm desperate for a lift out there, as i'm not familiar with st. paul or how to get there by bus. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally love to go, and I am in the same boat as you, and i would also like to meet you in real life, but but but I just can't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd like to meet you in real life, too, espcially since things are changing around here and i may be on my own soon...i can always use lots of friends!

    ReplyDelete