Friday, December 30

My car has a snow-hawk!

Like a mohawk, but on a car and made of snow.

I drove to Fargo on Friday night. I drove back on Monday night. I drove back to Fargo Wednesday afternoon. I drove to St. Cloud on Thursday afternoon.

Friday it was foggy and the familiar curves and dips of I-94 were disguised. The dark was intense, the fog 3-D against the flat black. It was somewhere between Alex and Fergus, when something seemd weird. It was merely dark. A few seconds later my car and I disappeared into another wall of fog.

On Wednesday night I met R, S, & J at Paradiso. Then we went to the Town Hall. Drinks were cheap, so I magnanimously bought a round. After J left to go to his job, the guys at the next table interviewed us on our ice fishing habits and used the rankest sophistry to try to induce us to play pool. We were far too wise for them.

The next day my dad told me some guy he works with was beaten with a tire iron outside of the Town Hall bar a while ago.

6 comments:

  1. Weird...My mom had a tale of gruesome death at the Town Hall too! She told me that some drunk guy punched another drunk guy--only once--and then he died. Later, right before the drunk-puncher's trial, he evidently drove into a train.

    But I dunno, I dug the place. (Must have been the company, eh?) Didn't seem as rough as I imagined it to be. (You know, when I was ten and riding my bike past it and all.) Next time: the Frontier Bar or the Silver Dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a little rank sophistry to keep the night alive, huh?

    Sounds like a lot of driving. Hope you had good tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, Michele, I did not have good tunes. I don't have a cd player or even a cassette player en ma voiture. Or is in sur ma voiture or dans ma voiture? I have a like FM tuner deallybopper that hooks up with my MP3 player, but it doesn't work well unless you're out in the country pretty far, it's a bit of a pain. I did a lot of NPR and a lot of station flipping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the station changing. It's really only because of that stretch of road that I know that the song "honkey tonk padunka dunk" exists. Also, I heard an awful song about "Jesus taking the wheel" on an icy patch of road. Fairly shortly after that, I went off the road myself. I finally feel justified about the AAA membership.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are ok & out of the ditch! But where was Jesus then, huh? Helping someone win a football game, probably.

    ReplyDelete