Friday, December 23

Christopher Hitchens is awesome

I love Christopher Hitchens. Have I mentioned that? Did you see him on the Daily Show a few months ago? Or on Penn & Teller Bullshit, chewing Mother Theresa a new one? And the time is ripe for another installment of Writers Whose Writing I Enjoy Very Much. I don't agree with him 50-70% of the time, but how often do you get to hear from an atheist/conservative? Here, as a Christmas treat, I present an excerpt and a link to his column on Slate.

See ya later, alligators.

"This was a useful demonstration of what I have always hated about the month of December: the atmosphere of a one-party state. On all media and in all newspapers, endless invocations of the same repetitive theme. In all public places, from train stations to department stores, an insistent din of identical propaganda and identical music. The collectivization of gaiety and the compulsory infliction of joy. Time wasted on foolishness at one's children's schools. Vapid ecumenical messages from the president, who has more pressing things to do and who is constitutionally required to avoid any religious endorsements."

3 comments:

  1. True. Also, I personally enjoy Christmas. It's funny to imagine Hitchen's scowling through his kid's Christmas programs, though. They must be very scarred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. merry christmas! and thank you for adding me to your blogroll! i'm honored :)

    ReplyDelete