Saturday, June 24

Why do I blog again? Plus: Do me a favor

I like the comments, but that's not why I got started in this business, dammit! Lately, I've been like, ok, if there's no response, why post? To say there is no response is not entirely fair, I guess. But really, the reason I blog is not to attract readers so much, as to skim off a few of the many thoughts in my head. Instead of getting all excited about a book or newsitem or magazine article and e-mailing about it to my exquisitely disinterested friends and acquaintance, I just post up. Or if something's distracting or annoying me, just write about how dumb it is and be done with it.

Another blogger compared blogging to that thing in Harry Potter, the bowl Dumbledore uses to literally collect his thoughts.Ooh, I remember now: it's called the Pensieve. He would stir them up to juxtapose some things, look at them from another angle, or when too many thoughts are racing through his brain. This is the closest I'll get to a magical thought collecting bowl.

Here's the favor request mentioned in the headline: Post a quick comment if you read this. Especially if you haven't commented in a long time. I'd like to see who's out there. If you want to put why you read this, or why you don't read it very often, that would be swell too. "Hi" or "you suck" would be acceptable comments, I really don't care.

11 comments:

  1. i read everything here... don't comment because usually am reading in a hurry... i spend a lot of time online but most of that time i have some productive task going.. and the rest of the time i'm just instant messaging while i listen to music or watch a movie so i don't think about reading blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do read it. I rarely have anything to say -- to anyone, anymore, not just you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola chica. Leo y comento cuando puedo. I think that's right? Not sure. Anyway, I always read JTT and MF. Sometimes others to, not always. Oh yeah, Wackly, excuses. Excuses are....you know the rest. Something productive? You? Really? Of course I'm just joking with ya cause you can talk a lot of sheeaat. Anyway, peace, later, nighty night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys!

    Jumper, what did you call my mother? :) No habla espanol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What up, babe. I read it a lot. It's part of my log in processes. I log in, check email(s), see what's new on Jerry, visit a few other friends, spy on a few people (!), check out Slate...by then it's an hour or so later and I'm finally ready to work. But I don't comment very much. Guess I'm shy? Or maybe just lazy. Either way, I really enjoy reading it. Hasta la pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one's in trouble for not commenting, I just wanted to talk to my public. Ha. Ha. Ha.

    I do the same thing, I don't comment sometimes cuz I got nothing to say. Other times, I make some meaningless comment like "Yeah!" which is silly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also when my computer doesn't want to work or when I have other shit going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why, it was my pleasure. I think I was drunk for twelve hours straight. Or longer.

    Oh, yeah, it was also a lovely wedding, and, as I believe I slurred at you at the reception, you two look like you'll be very happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got your back, baby. I blogged for months and months before getting any comments. If you aren't writing for yourself, this can be a huge frustration --but comments are really nice, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thx Voix. Your blog is one of those where I'm the one thinking, this is cool, but I don't have anything to say ... so I just post every so often.

    ReplyDelete