Tuesday, April 25

The local rag


The paper has had these scattered little ads for the past couple of years, in keeping with their "Miss a day. Miss a lot." campaign.

They have questions like What are the headlines in tomorrow's St. Cloud Times? and You sold your car how?
You placed your ad how?
I carved it onto the back of a dead prostitute and dumped her outside the building at 2 a.m. Boy, were the distributors and delivery guys surprised!

They used to have a few in the classifieds that sounded potentially dirty or a little psycho. What did you have to do with who to get the job? Where did you find the shotgun hidden? Ok, those are fake, but you get the idea.

This paper has a notorious tin ear for headlines, ad campaigns, and the local columns are things of pure beauty - if you get a chance check out Rent Rants and Raves. (Can't find a permalink to these, sadly.) Am I being too harsh? I don't really care. I don't think the local media, such as it is, gets enough scrutiny. If all I'm capable of is petty mockery, then I owe it to the community to throw my two cents in.

5 comments:

  1. SD, do you ever read the craig'slist personals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not lately. I've read the 'best of craigslist' a couple of times. Why? Anybody good on there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. just generally humerous. What's best of craig's list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/all/

    ReplyDelete
  5. with titles like:
    BABY PLEASE JUST LIFT THE DAMN RESTRAINING ORDER!!!

    ReplyDelete