Sunday, February 18

Oh a tiny little house


I'd like a small house. A shotgun shanty. A little cottage. A Katrina Cottage purchased at Lowe's, maybe. Fuck, why not a nice dry cave? Little geodisic dome on the prairie. Sounds cozy, don't it? I've seen these before, but this here article in the NYT got me thinking. I would genuinely like a little house like this. It reminds me of tiny cabins people rent by the lake. They really have all the space you need. One possible problem is that I do not want to live out in a forest or anything like that.That seems to be what most of the people in the NYT story did. I like the city, or town, or something where you are near people, shops, fire stations and gas stations. And I imagine this sort of house wouldn't be welcome in many neighborhoods. In fact, the neighbors would be downright hostile. They'd either think you were some hippie loser or they'd just be mad that you could be dragging down their property values.

What I'd do, though, is I would have a big two car garage alongside my tiny cottage. It could be heated for parties and whatnot. I don't know if that would make the hypothetical neighbors any happier, but it really should.

In the house I would need space for a smallish tv, bookshelves, a desk, kitchen, bathroom and a bedroom. A screened in porch, a cellar would be nice -- maybe a basement under the garage. The guest house will be a tree house and will overlook the pool. In fact, you, as my house guest, will be invited to jump from the tree house balcony into the swimming pool (after you sign a liability waiver and promise - pinkie swear! - to make sure there is water in the pool before jumping).

Another fine purveyor of teensy houses, is Alchemy Architects, which produces the WeeHouse, and is located in St. Paul.

6 comments:

  1. can you say mobile home? I wish my house were more square like that. Cute but my kids need a runway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Like for fashion shows or taking off into the air? I can see either one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg. Today's Oprah show was all about living in tiny spaces. Like a 250 square foot studio apartment in Manhattan -- it was probably smaller than Oprah's secondary shoe closet; and a seven foot wide row house that was built into a alleyway. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah guys, small is overrated unless you're cool with being all by yourself in one room forever. my apartment is too small cuz i have lived in bigger. and in the city you need to make sure your garage is up to standards as well is any secondary "sheds" or prolly tree houses. i say fuck it, go bigger on the house and just keep the innards minimal like the garage if you want easy cleaning. tile and cement. hose 'er down!
    shhh!
    did you hear that? i hear banjos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hose er down. I don't think I've ever said that before. lol- banjos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry & I used to live in a room. Literally 1 room with a small fridge & sink and closet. We had a microwave. That's it. Of course that was pre-kids so it was cool. I actually miss those days. The bathroom we shared with the guy that lived in the other room of the basement. It wasn't too bad - he was never there. Oh the good ol days! So ghetto when I really think about it.

    ReplyDelete