Thursday, May 4

Reading

I joined a Barnes & Noble online book discussion on Emma. So I started re-reading it, and this time I don't like it at all. Is it because it's part of an assignment? A self-assigned assignment, I guess, so maybe it's not that. Emma is my least favorite Jane Austen book anyway.

Anybody an Austen fan? I didn't think so, but on the off chance you care, pemberley.com (are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?) is an awesome site.

Jane Austen quotes are so best. I think I like her so much because she seems like she'd be a good friend. A little bitchy, always witty, a thinking and feeling person. Here are some of the ones, from the books and letters I can come up with off the top of my head, so if they're not quite accurate, sue me. Ha, nobody's read this far anyway.
-"Had you behaved in a more gentlemanlike manner..."
- "Once more in this scene of dissipation and vice and I begin already to find my morals corrupted."
-"Pictures of perfection make me sick and wicked."
-"He had nothing but himself to recommend him."
-"I do not want people to be agreeable. It saves me the trouble of liking them."
-"Novels... performances having only genius, wit, and taste to recommend them."
-"I have learned to love a hyacinth."

Oh hell, I had to go and look up a few more. Nothing spectacular I guess but I like them and so there.

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."

"Your silence on the subject of our ball makes me suppose your curiosity too great for words."

"I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive."

No comments:

Post a Comment