Monday, July 18

Review of Harry Potter 6. Kind of.

For lack of anything better to do, I went and got the new Harry Potter at Barnes and Noble Friday night/Saturday morning. I left at about 1 a.m. and the lot was pretty empty when I got there. Actually I was the last person in the store other than the employees, clamoring for their own books. "There's one more! Hey, wait, one more!" They were still faux-cheerful, but less than thrilled to see me. It was a perfect plan, really. I felt a little less pathetic than if I had been standing in line for two hours or something. And I did get a little rubber bracelet and poster along with my Moste Precious Treasure.

Crapnasty and I went to the gym after work, then we ran into each other at the grocery story. She remonstrated against my ideas of drinking alone. I smirked. She bought camping food. I bought mixers.

So far we have a review of my pathetic weekend.

I got home from the bookstore at 1:30, read til 6 a.m. Woke up at noon, finished the book by 2:30 with a couple of quick breaks. It was bright and sunny out, but hot as hell, so I really didn't miss much in my nifty cocoon of air conditioning and solitude.

The book was pretty good. How's that for incisive commentary? Take that, real reviewers! Ha! At the same time, it consisted mostly of flashbacks and rehashings of old plot. Somebody else died. They were sad about the last person who died. The writing wasn't as good, I swear it wasn't, and I was truly surprised. Ol' Harold Bloom, how I hate you. You've ruined me for life. Parts read like crappy fan fic. It seemed like Rowling put some bits in just to contradict fan rumors (Lupin has a girlfriend!?)

If you're overloaded on Pottermania, at least we don't live in media-saturated NYC.
http://www.gawker.com/news/media/books/index.php#harry-potter-and-the-prisoner-of-soho-112794 Favorite line? "Do keep an eye out for us; we’ll be there this afternoon, doing a reading of Harry Potter and the Clusterfucking Topiary Vomitorium."

In other news "muttsy chops" is new cutest phrase ever.

2 comments:

  1. I cried for ten minutes when Dumbledore died... I hope he comes back. Visit my blog, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lia,
    I will visit.
    At least we'll get to see Dumbledore in his portrait, right?

    ReplyDelete