Saturday, February 9

Further ramblings

I have gotten even sicker of the presidential race. At least I'm learning to be ashamed of this, because I should really want to participate. Here's what I feel, and I'd like to hear your opinions as well: I think Hillary, Barack or John McCain would probably all do a decent enough job. My most favoritest would be Prez Hill, Veep Barack. Or maybe vice versa. I'm sure many of you disagree, but I could give a crap. lol. I respect your opinions and whatnot, but barring some really good persuasion, or unless Bill C and Barry go strip club hopping together, that's gonna be my ticket.

One of my favorite things on NPR is Science Friday, on All Things Considered maybe, hosted by Ira something. This week they talked a bit about the disheartening news about using food crops for bio diesel. Which I mean, hello? Did anyone else hear that and think, god, why is that news to me? What I'm saying is, why didn't I/everybody else already think of this? If we use corn to make fuel, then we will have less corn for food. Other countries will need to grow more food, they will need more land to grow that food... hey, look at that rainforest! But we should be using less corn for food anyway. And eating less meat (it takes a lot of pounds of grain to feed a cow, to get one pound of beef. why not just eat the grains? I guess if you have celiac disease, that would be a good reason to go for the steak). Just a bit less, say one day a week, have like tofu or garbanzo beans instead. It's an idea, if you are giving up steak for Lent anyway why not give it a try?

Anyway, after covering the bad news they talked about new developments in sustainable biofuels, like perhaps using algae or some nonsense to make ethanol or even oil. That was pretty cool. I like hearing about science things, even though it's not really my thing.

You know, perhaps a blog is the wrong place for this next topic but I'd like to get away from the navel gazing, introspective, self-absorbed thing. It's very dull. LOL. I say this after how many tens of thousands of words, how many hundreds of uses of "I" or "me" on this page? Perhaps it's more honest to talk about oneself rather than pretend that what one writes can be truly independant of oneself? Oh, but exceptions present themselves immediately -- anybody else worried about this type of thing? No? It's boring? Then forget it.

I haven't been good about keeping up with people, except that I talk to Whackly about once a week. I think I'm doing ok with others then I sort of look up that it's been say, 2 weeks, or 4 months since I've spoken to them. I'm sure when I figure out the internet access shit that will get better, but in the meantime, if I've alienated anyone please don't take it personal.

So I tried blogging from my cell phone but no dice. For the last 3-4 weeks I haven't even been able to check my email from the damn thing.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, sick of the this political garbage. I also agree that any of the 3 candidates would do a fine job, however I am partial to Hillary, sorry bout that. I can't help myself. Most of my decisions about people are based on my intuition. I instinctively feel she would be better, maybe cause of experience, cause I can relate to her more. I really don't know why. Anyway, I do like Obama though. I wouldn't mind if he was the 'One'. Honestly I don't think the Republicans have a chance this election, thanks to Pres. Bush. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and definitely not the last.
    As far as the alienating people, I wouldn't worry too much about that, as long as you're okay. Real friends understand these kinds of things. We all have our phases, things going on etc...I feel that way a lot, but with the kids I don't have a lot of choices. I try to get rid of them but they just keep coming back, like a bad disease. lol. I love them though:)

    And yes the Science stuff is exciting even if I don't understand anything but the outcome and what it can do for our environment. A new fuel source is so important, I wish I could come up with the perfect answer. Not gonna happen, but maybe in my next lifetime I can be the genius to save the world as we know it. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. talk of the nation sci fri w/ ira flado

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought it was ira plato. silly me!

    ReplyDelete