Friday, September 9

Maybe you've had this experience too.

You get to know someone. Generally you think they're all right. But over time, they start to set off your bullshit meter in an almost startling manner. If they said "hello" you'd think, "what are you after?". They just creep you out. Usually the BS-ometer goes off right away, but even the most finely-tuned instrument can be fooled, and here's one reason: Bullshitters believe their own bullshit, and their certainty can be contagious. I can be easily creeped out, and once that line's been crossed, it's hard to get un-creeped without solid evidence that my impression was wrong. (If you think you know who I'm talking about, I bet you don't. Not that it matters.)

I recently picked up this delightful volume, haven't read it yet.

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought about taking up meditation? yoga? deep breathing? or holding your breath til you pass out? cuz the herbal supplement isn't cutting it.

    No, of course it isn't you. When it's about you, it will be very clear. That goes for all of youse. It's really really not about anybody that reads this (that I know of).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... did everyone else miss my point as thoroughly as b-man did? If so, I apologize for my obtuseness. My bad, my bad.

    ReplyDelete