Tuesday, May 29

creepy little girl, go away!

Most days I'm glad that I sit sort of off in my own area, but when weird shit happens I got no one to tell about it. This was one of those days.

Today at work work a kid called in a few times, with, like, really lame-yet-unsettling prank calls. It could have been funny to mess with her, but I was on a recorded line. I remember making funny phone calls as a kid. But there are two things you gotta remember: 1) decide what you're going to say before you call, and 2) know when to quit (this is way after you've annoyed the person you're calling, in this case me, but before I start threatening you, unless you have a high tolerance for risk. I didn't really threaten her. I just commented that her mommy might wonder what she's up to). Oh yeah, and don't call someplace where they can get your number really easily. Also, I know she was a little girl - or at least she sounded about eight years old - but you can't get offended if the target calls you on your bullshit. But perhaps some readers have their own prank laws - I would be surprised if you shiftless delinquents didn't have a few tricks up your sleeves.

I don't know if someone was coaching her but I hope not, because this much lameness shouldn't be a team effort. She asked if she could talk to Marleen, then Marvin. I asked her to spell the name of the person she was looking for, and she fell silent. I said "Hello, bored little girl, can you hear me?" Still nothing. I hung up. She called back, sputtering with indignation, "You hunged up on me!". I asked again who she wanted to talk to, or if her mom would come to the phone, which is a lousy reason to get pissed off if you ask me Ooh, she was mad. "Ma'am, you are talking to me like I am not a real person. I don't - you- you - Your boyfriend just broke up with you!" she said and hung up. She called in about five times total. Seriously, her voice sounded super young but she spoke with a mixture of childish confusion and weirdly adult intensity. It didn't come in on the main line so maybe they were dialing randomly or maybe they have a parent who works there. That would be awesome.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you shared "creepy little girl" with the rest of us!

    What a magical story.

    Next time, add unicorns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good times. my last name being gay and all, we got a lot of really dull prank calls. one guess what they said. are you gay? ahhahahahaa! it was super funny every time.
    one time i got a call from a tenant when i was a caretaker in st. cloud. it was a tenant from another building, complaining about noise and what not.
    i swear to god, people, this person was a very gay man. nice as could be, and he said he had tried to be mean but they didn't care, they just partied away anyway.
    and this all made sense to me. knowing st cloud and the massively dumb college jocks there, i could see them totally disregarding anything this poor flamer did.
    so i asked him for his information to check with my tenant list and the name on the list for that apartment was julie. and i was like, so are you a roommate that we don't have on this list?
    and he says, no, i'm the tenant. and i said well i have julie on here and you're obviously not julie. and She said, yes i am julie, who else would i be?
    GULP. ooopsy. what to say? sorry you sounded like a gay man? i stumbled and babbled something just as horrendous like, sorry i didn't know you were a girl.
    when in all reality she did sound girly, but not straight girl girly. ya know? it was weird!
    i guess that made up for the call i made to some chic i hated when she was pregnant and pretended to be an associate from the fetal alcohol syndrome society, having concerns that she is drinking while pregnant. yeah, that wasn't even funny. now. when i was fucked up it was hilarious.
    sorry, long "comment".

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, that's funny, anytime and all the time. I think she called back on Friday but.... not sure since whoever it was hung up right away. Here's my prank call tale: there was a listing in the phone book in my home town for "Neil and Mona Little". I was in the 6th grade. I had a sleep over for my birthday party. Yeah, we called them. I don't remember what we said, or wtf ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was just telling me coworker about neil and mona litle.. googled it and came across this posting.

    are you from fargo/moorhead too?

    ReplyDelete